< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, December 23, 2007
 
This week was “M” week for show and tell at Maddie's school. Each week is a different letter and we search the house looking for an appropriate object that she can bring into school to display. We were searching for an M thing early in the week when she had an idea: “I know—I can bring in you—M for Mama!”

So Friday was the big day. She had it all planned. I would come in with her in the morning and would “write my book” in the lobby. Then when the time was right, she’d come out and get me. Sure enough, after about an hour, she ran out with her teacher and brought me into the classroom where all the kids were sitting in a circle. One by one the, the kids displayed their M items (some were real stretches-- “Batman & Robin dolls… hmmm, says the teacher—I guess they are both “m”en! There was no getting the “Diego car” into the M box though). Anyway, Maddie was getting more and more excited as it came closer to her turn, flashing me conspiratorial smiles and giving me the thumbs up sign as if to let me know that her plan was coming together just as she imagined. And then sure enough, when her turn came around, she jumped up, yelled “M is for my Mama,” and pulled me into the circle. I was a little sheepish at the center of the show and tell action, having no real kid-pleasing, show-stopping skills (juggling, for example, or a magic trick or two) to speak of. Luckily, though, just the fact of me seemed to be enough (would that it be always so). Then to top it all off, her little friend next to her announced that her M was for Maddie, which prompted a kid pile-on. It was a huge love fest all around. I got to stay a little afterwards as well and things got even wilder after gingerbread. Here’s a pic of her and her friend carousing it up: