< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, July 24, 2006
 
NYC

Last week was a big NYC week. First over the weekend, a quick, purely pleasure jaunt down to visit the lovely sisters M & N. We browsed, strolled, ate, kept cool in a movie theater, and most of all chatted away. (A highlight: Listening to M & N reminisce together—each is such a good story teller, get them together and you get the stories in stereo!) Then on Friday, another quick trip down—this time for work. Before my evening meeting though, I had a perfect day with my brother, including side-by-side massages here:



And being caught in a thunderstorm here:



NY is where I was born, where I spent my first few years, and where so many of my friends and family live. I have enjoyed its pleasures but it has never quite taken hold of me on its own. Instead, it has always been a wonderful backdrop —a friend’s house, a subway ride, a delicious restaurant. On Friday night though, on a long walk alone through the bustling streets after my meeting, I could feel it move me as a place, begin to feel it as a friend.