< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, November 29, 2004
 
Maddie is a reluctant napper at best. Getting her to sleep in the afternoon is a process of lying very still next to her and boring her to sleep. She tries to engage and you have to try to resist engagement. It sounds easy but it is getting harder and harder to do as she gets more and more communicative. Take yesterday, for example. "Poopy diaper" she announces as we were lying there, "change the poopy diaper." I took a subtle (not for the faint of heart/nose) sniff and figured out it was a ruse-- her diaper smelled as fresh as could be. A few minutes later she tried to change tact: "hungry, yogurt"-- nope, we had just eaten lunch so she couldn't be hungry. I continued to lie still. After a while, she sat up with a worried look on her face and said "scared." Between her worried look and her cute pronunciation of that word, she got me, hook line and sinker. I sat up, held her, and asked her what she was scared of. There's where I think she realized that the gig was up--I could see her trying and trying to come up with something to be scared of. Finally, in desperation she said "alligator"-- I think she knew it wouldn't quite cut it because (although she tried not to) no sooner was the word out of her mouth then she started to giggle which got me giggling too. "Big alligator" she said trying to convince me but couldn't help laughing even harder-- which also cracked me up even more. The nap was doomed but we had a funny funny time laughing and listing all the things that we might be scared of-- as in "scared of... (we'd pause to make it even more dramatic) ears!! scared of... macaroni and cheese" and so on and so on.