< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Wednesday, October 20, 2004
 
Word explosion

Every day Maddie wakes up and very pointedly says a word that seems to sum up the highlights of her previous day. I’ve tried to keep track of them for her so she can have some sense of her life at nineteen months. I’m often gone to work before she wakes up, but here’s a sampling of the ones I could catch so far:

Thu 9/30 : “Ears” (I met an old friend for dinner the night before and the wait staff were asking Maddie to name her facial parts—she was shy in the moment and wouldn’t say anything, but by the next morning she remembered them)
Sat 10/2: “Horsies, ride” (she is getting less and less nervous about the horses on the farm)
Mon 10/4: “Meema”(her g’ma, my mom, had been visiting for the weekend and they got along famously)
Tues 10/5: “Window” (I don’t know where this is from)
Thurs 10/7: “Library” (she’s a big fan of these places—she & L must have gone to the library the day before)
Sun 10/10: “Skateboard” (her skateboarding cousin had come to visit)
Tues 10/12: "Carry you" (I think I slept through her real first word on that day, but by the time I woke up she was saying this—she means “carry me”)
Wed 10/13: "Cows" (her obsession)
Thurs 10/14: "Girls" (her other obsession)
Fri 10/15: "Map" (ever since the drive across the country she thinks every piece of paper with stuff written on it is a map)
Sat 10/16: “Donkey” (actually I don’t know if this was her word of the day, or if the donkey woke her up with his morning bray)

She is also beginning to put words together in sentences. Her first sentence was Elvis Presley/burning ring of fire-inspired: “Girl happy Maddie is”