< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, March 15, 2004
 
Just got out of class-- today we were talking about Marx's "Alienated Labor." It was good timing to read it because it is the first class after spring break and there's that great line in the piece that says that one indication of our being alienated from our work lives is that the worker "feels at ease only outside work, and during work he [grrrr...] is outside himself. He is at home when he is not working and when he is working he is not at home." Since everybody was groaning about having to come back to school, that line really hit home. I have to confess though that between going to a great conference last week in Portland and having such a nice discussion about Marx today I've been feeling particularly unalienated from my labor these days, that it's just what I want to be doing. I don't always feel that way, mind you, especially when the deadlines loom large and the future is uncertain and I also know that structurally there's so very much wrong & alienating about university education, but right now I'm just savoring the work. In my work giddiness, I even thought of a political theory theme song "textual healing" (sung to the tune of Marvin Gaye's song). Luckily I refrained from belting it out in class today.