< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, February 23, 2004
 
My big fear going into the Seattle-South Bend commute was that I'd be stuck somewhere because of bad weather and not be able to make it to class on time. Up until Sunday, I'd been very lucky-- there would be snowstorms that moved in a day after I traveled, for example, or the flight board would show cancellations all over the midwest but the flight into SB would be miraculously listed as "on time." Yesterday though, my luck ran out, or at least kind of sputtered. It was the opposite effect, the weather was fine and all the flights were going out of the airport, except for the South Bend flight-- cancelled. Damn, stuck in Minneapolis. It was evening and there was no way I could get to SB before my morning class. I decided to switch the flight to Chicago and take the hellacious bus even though it meant probably traveling all night long. Luckily when I got to Chicago, I ran into two people that had been on my cancelled flight as well who were renting a car to South Bend. They invited me to join them so I hopped on in. They were just back from Las Vegas and were feeling flush and were regaling me with stories about winning a $20,000 diamond pendant in a drawing. In fact, they were going on about it until they kind of looked at each other, stopped abruptly, and changed the subject. I think they had just realized then that they didn't know me from adam (as my g'ma would say) and that clearly that diamond was in the car with us. But all in all, it worked out fine and there I was this morning, teaching away like I had never left the school much less the state over the weekend.

Question for M: Can I count running from gate to gate in the airport as half-marathon training? How about if I don't use the electric runway?