derive diaries |
|
|
Possible rendezvous links Diana TB 10x40 Simone The things Ellen Eric M & S AW June MM Rick Kerry MSG Gnat James Nick Bob Paths of Interest Incite! Manushi EPW SSA Comunidad de Paz MER Feministe Permanent Black Archives |
Tuesday, December 02, 2003
In general, I have the gift of being able sleep anywhere (cars, cold hard outdoor railway platforms in the middle of the jungle, couches galore) but yesterday on the flight from Seattle to South Bend I had a new experience of deep travel-sleep. I was sitting next to the window, wedged in because it was a very full flight with very stuffed post-Thanksgiving people. The sun was shining in the window. I had big plans of grading & preparing for my class but the combo of the snug fit and the warm sunshine & the early morning departure wilted my resolve and I put the books away and closed my eyes. I must have been sleeping deeply because eventually I started to dream these vivid dreams about being on the plane. I dreamed we were flying low over the desert (beautiful). I dreamed that I had a conversation with the nice guy next to me. I dreamed that the pilot announced that the plane was going to land. I dreamed that the plane was landing, going down through the clouds. After what seemed like a very long time in my becoming-kind-of-conscious-but-still-sleeping state I realized that the plane hadn't landed yet & started to wonder what had happened. Why weren't we on the ground already? I tried to move, but my limbs wouldn't budge and my eyes wouldn't open. Panicked, I thought maybe the plane had crashed and I had slept through it. With what felt like superhuman effort I finally got my arm to move up to my face to pry open my eyelids. Strangely enough, we were still in the air, with 2 more hours to go. It took me a long time to wrap my mind around both those facts. |