derive diaries |
|
|
Possible rendezvous links Diana TB 10x40 Simone The things Ellen Eric M & S AW June MM Rick Kerry MSG Gnat James Nick Bob Paths of Interest Incite! Manushi EPW SSA Comunidad de Paz MER Feministe Permanent Black Archives |
Monday, October 06, 2003
Two miracles of communication this weekend, on either ends of my generational spectrum: 1) We’ve been trying to teach Maddie sign language this week (supposedly babies desire to communicate long before they have the motor skills to form words) and yesterday she made the signs for milk and for a diaper change (for the latter, an all too context-appropriate sign!) 2) I called my grandma yesterday-- her dementia is pretty far advanced at this point so I was a bit nervous about how she’d be but I figured that I had to call her while I still could (treasuring these days while she is still here). Not only could she still recognize me but after one long 5 minute silence where I thought she dropped the phone and in the midst of a lot of incomprehensible stuff she said, clear as could be, “it is so good to hear your voice” and “I love you darling”—anchors of affection for me to hold on to and to remember. |