< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, August 25, 2003
 
It seems like a long time ago now but the visit to NYC was great. Actually it was more like a visit to Brooklyn because that’s where I/we were almost the whole time. All but one of my friends have moved to Brooklyn, most of them within a mile radius of each other. That, combined with a morning spent sitting on the front stoop with Olivia talking to her neighbors as they picked up the paper or headed off to work, made the big city feel like the little Sri Lankan village I used to live in. Also in Brooklyn, L & M & I met Natalie (M’s sister) for the first time and spent a really nice afternoon with her at the zoo. Among her other great traits, she has a real eye for finding camouflaged animals. Apparently Jack had just been there, and Michael Allison is on his way soon, so we felt a part of a general CAPGAS pilgrimage to visit her in her new life.

Had a fun birthday in SB—knowing I’m a little on the shy side about things like that, L emailed the South Bend crew to alert them to the bday so strangely everyone seemed to know about it when I went into work in the morning. I spent a great afternoon at the beach with my new friend and coworker Isis and her family who were here visiting (from Nazareth & Toronto). The weather was great and the water was rough just like I like it. Her little cousin and I had a great time jumping from the sandbar into the strong current over and over again. Delights of the birthday events aside, 36 is a lot of age to wrap your mind around.

p.s to MDM & MSG: Thanks so much for the wonderful present—can’t wait to enjoy it!