< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Saturday, June 07, 2003
 
Today was my dad’s 60th birthday. I’d say that the phrase that best fits our relationship is “cordially estranged” or maybe “detached affection” He can be a charming guy and is involved in cool things, but for a long while now he hasn’t been that into the father role and my brothers and I eventually lost interest in the pursuit. Still, 60 is a big thing and he has been on my mind. Last night I dreamed that he told me that he was writing about his life in a letter to us. I was very happy about it in the dream, so curious to read about how he would reflect on his life, how he would cast the highlights and the tough spots. Today I talked to him and it was all cheer and brevity, no life reflection plans. Oh well. Anyway, one thing is for sure, we share some of the same genes, both in terms of the build (he’s on the shorter side like me, as opposed to my tall brothers) and the dogged-optimism-for-a-better-world DNA strands. My mom says we walk alike too.