derive diaries |
|
|
Possible rendezvous links Diana TB 10x40 Simone The things Ellen Eric M & S AW June MM Rick Kerry MSG Gnat James Nick Bob Paths of Interest Incite! Manushi EPW SSA Comunidad de Paz MER Feministe Permanent Black Archives |
Friday, January 10, 2003
Just got back into South Bend late last night. Could that have been affection I felt for the town as we drove in?? I think it might have been. Anyway, after weeks of sporadic internet access, I've been bursting to blog. And how great to read all the action on the quitters list. I'm a non-smoker, so maybe I'm romanticizing these things, but I think there are some traditions about smoking that I think are real capitalism-busters and should be continued.* In particular: smoke breaks (taking time for pleasure and away from the business of the day), smoking after meetings (prolongs the social interaction, gives people a chance to analyze things and gossip-here I'm thinking about political meetings so this doesn't necessarily have to do with capitalism at work but also includes the getting down to business approach in general), bumming cigarettes (if we could share everything the way smokers seem to share cigarettes what a better world we'd have), the ways that smoking creating openings to meet people (I met my ex in Sri Lanka when she asked me if I had a match-"nope, sorry" I said. "You're sorry, I'm the one that's sorry" she replied and I was hooked). Anyway, I've always envied these of smokers and wished there was a non-smoking substitute that could carry the same traditions. MSG suggests carrot sticks as a way to keep the mouth busy… if we could create a sense of addictive urgency about them, maybe they could do the trick. *(not that I don't recognize the way that cigarettes are a capitalist dream product-create a consumer base that needs what you make) |