< derive diaries

derive diaries
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, December 06, 2002
 
Thanksgiving report:

Lots of great things about thanksgiving in Baltimore in my Mom’s & Sonny’s new pad, but spending time with my grandmother was, as usual for me, an emotional highlight. She is doing a lot worse than when I last saw her in September. She’s incontinent now and has to deal with all of the indignities and embarrassment that comes with that. But she can still recognize us all, with affection (even if not with quite accurate reads on what we are up to—upon hearing that my 11 year old cousin has to have a hernia operation, she said to him “I guess you won’t be able to drink as much as you used to!”) and we had a nice time together, she & I. The dearest moment with her for me came when we were taking a nap together and she woke up with a start, probably not knowing where she was for a minute. Then she reached over and took my hand, kissed it, and held it close to her chest without saying a word and went back to sleep. I was so happy to be with her.

Another highlight (on the other end of the age spectrum) was seeing Angelo, my friend and fellow EPN member Aurelia’s son (they were visiting DC from San Diego). I’ve known him ever since he was 2— and I’ve loved him as this gentle gentle boy who wouldn’t mind sitting through long political meetings in New Mexico, listening and contributing thoughtfully and also trying to get us all interested in pokeman or whatever was the fad at the time. Its been a few years since I’ve seen him last though— and now he is 15 and handsome, tall, and with a moustache and with a gruff voice. At first I was a bit reserved around him—who is this new Angelo?- but things warmed up quickly between us and soon there we were, walking down the street sharing confidences and SAT strategies.

What struck me about both of these things is how love and affection can be so stable even when people can change so much.