derive diaries |
|
|
Possible rendezvous links Diana TB 10x40 Simone The things Ellen Eric M & S AW June MM Rick Kerry MSG Gnat James Nick Bob Paths of Interest Incite! Manushi EPW SSA Comunidad de Paz MER Feministe Permanent Black Archives |
Thursday, November 07, 2002
I wasn’t going to write about the elections because it is too depressing. But here I go. The only good thing that I am hearing is that people are slamming the democrats for not articulating a clear alternative—hopefully that critique will move the party to the left and undercut the notion that voting for the war makes good political sense. Basically though I agree with Rick’s and M's take on the elections—how could people have voted for policies that so clearly spell war, international isolation, environmental degradation, a crazy supreme court, and an economic set up in which so many people are so badly off?? In fact, it’s taking every last bit of energy I’ve got not to turn cynical (yesterday I almost succumbed and had a hard, hard time getting out of bed and kept wanting to climb back in). Maybe what I need to do is to follow M’s grandfather’s lead and start attending meetings of the optimist club to recharge my hope! But I think what’s happened though is that I got enthralled by the elections and now I’ve got to get myself together and put back on my anarchist glasses and try to refocus on the kinds of resistance that are happening all around me—the ways people are moving and talking and acting in ways that defy the logic of what happened in the elections yesterday. More soon. |